Frederick L. Brown - book indexing Frederick L. Brownbook indexing services
I have nine years of experience preparing back-of-the-book indexes for scholarly works, textbooks, and trade books. Over my career, I have indexed over a hundred books in a wide variety of topics, with a particular emphasis on history, biography, and politics. I am committed to providing high-quality, accurate indexes, whether a simple name index or a detailed name and subject index.
If you are considering hiring a book indexer, please send me a note at fbrown1455 at gmail dot com, and I would be glad to provide a cost estimate and time schedule.
Comments from clients:
- "I cannot recommend Fred's indexing services highly enough. Fred is a meticulous, smart, and responsive indexer. He did an excellent job with all entries, from proper names to more abstract concepts, and delivered everything on schedule. I will certainly use Fred's indexing services again and have already recommended them to several colleagues." --Lynn M. Thomas, Professor, Department of History, University of Washington
- "I couldn't have been more pleased with the indexing work I commissioned from Fred Brown. He understands academic indexing, and working with him was easy and constructive. I would recommend Fred to any of my colleagues." --Patrick Rael, Professor, Department of History, Bowdoin College
- "Having a good index is essential for a book. Fred Brown ensures that will happen. He was accurate, knowledgeable, prompt, and easy to work with as an author. His work was a great value, and I would certainly work with him again and recommend him to others." --Adam M. Sowards, Professor, Department of History, University of Idaho
My curriculum vitae is available here. A partial list of books that I have indexed is provided below.
Archeology and human evolution
- Boyd, Robert, and Joan Silk. How Humans Evolved. New York: Norton, 1997.
- Conroy, Glenn C. Reconstructing Human Origins: A
Modern Synthesis. New York: Norton, 1996.
- Fagan, Brian. Time Detectives: How Archeologists Use
Technology to Recapture the Past. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1994.
- James, Peter, and Nick Thorpe. Ancient Inventions.
New York: Ballantine Books, 1994.
- Pellegrino, Charles. Return to Sodom and Gomorrah:
Bible Stories from Archaeologists. New York: Random House, 1994.
Arts and language
- Burgess, Anthony. A Mouthful of Air: Language, Languages -- especially English. New York: Morrow, 1992.
- Cole, Catherine M. Performance and the Afterlives of Injustice. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2020.
- Machlis, Joseph, with Kristine Forney. The Enjoyment
of Music. 7th ed. New York: Norton, 1995.
- Murray, Albert. Blue Devils of Nada: The Contemporary
American Approach to Aesthetic Statement. New York: Pantheon, 1995.
- Bergreen, Laurence. Capone: The Man and the Era.
New York: Simon & Schuster, 1994.
- Brandt, Clare. The Man in the Mirror: A Life of Benedict
Arnold. New York: Random House, 1993.
- Duchene, Francois. Jean Monnet: The First Statesman
of Interdependence. New York: Norton, 1994.
- Lawrence, Vicki, and Marc Eliot. Vicki! The True-Life
Adventures of Miss Fireball. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Seebohm, Caroline. No Regrets: The Life of Marietta
Tree. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997.
- Sirin Phathanothai, with James Peck. The Dragon's
Pearl. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1994.
- Slate, Nico. Gandhi's Search for the Perfect Diet: Eating with the World in Mind. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2019.
- Smith, Jean Edward. John Marshall: Definer of a Nation.
New York: Henry Holt, 1996.
Economics and finance
- Berg, Adriane G. Gifting to People You Love.
New York: Newmarket Press, 1996.
- Kanter, Rosabeth Moss. World Class: Thriving Locally
in the Global Economy. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Sasanow, Richard. The 401(k) Book: Your Last Best
Hope for Retirements Savings! New York: Henry Holt, 1995.
- Schwartz, Barry. The Costs of Living: How Market Freedom
Erodes the Best Things in Life. New York: Norton, 1994.
History and geography
- Darnton, Robert. The Forbidden Best-Sellers of
Pre-revolutionary France. New York: Norton, 1994.
- Davidson, Basil. Search for Africa: History, Culture,
Politics. New York: Random House, 1993.
- Edgerton, Robert B. Warriors of the Rising Sun:
A History of the Japanese Military. New York: Norton, 1997.
- Fawcett, Bill, ed. Hunters and Shooters: An Oral
History of the U.S. Navy SEALs in Vietnam. New York: Morrow, 1995.
- Foner, Eric. The Story of American Freedom. New York: Norton, 1998.
- Gonzalez-Quiroga, Miguel Angel. War and Peace on the Rio Grande Frontier, 1830-1880. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2020.
- Karnow, Stanley. Paris in the Fifties. New York: Times Books,
- Langguth, A. J. A Noise of War: Caesar, Pompey, Octavian
and the Struggle for Rome. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993.
- Lears, Jackson. Something for Nothing: Luck in America. New York: Viking, 2002.
- Louter, David. Windshield Wilderness: Cars, Roads, and Nature in Washington's National Parks. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2006.
- McNeill, John Robert, and William Hardy McNeill. The Human Web: A Bird's-eye View of World History. New York: Norton, 2003.
- Merriman, John M. A History of Modern Europe: From the Renaissance to the Present. New York: Norton, 1995.
- Nash, Linda. Inescapable Ecologies: A History of Environment, Disease, and Knowledge. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2006.
- Nevius, Marcus P. City of Refuge: Slavery and Petit Marronage in the Great Dismal Swamp, 1763-1856. Athens: The University of Georgia Press, 2020.
- Patton, Randall L. Lockheed, Atlanta, and the Struggle for Racial Integration. Athens: The University of Georgia Press, 2019.
- Ralph, Philip Lee, Robert E. Lerner, Standish Meacham,
Alan T. Wood, Richard W. Hull, and Edward McNall Burns. World
Civilizations. 9th ed. New York: Norton, 1996.
- Ralph, Philip Lee, Robert E. Lerner, Standish Meacham, and Edward McNall Burns, Western Civilizations. 13th ed. New York: Norton,
- Rael, Patrick. Eighty-Eight Years: The Long Death of Slavery in the United States, 1777-1865. Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2015.
- Ranum, Orest. The Fronde: A French Revolution
1648-1652. New York: Norton, 1993.
- Sleeper-Smith, Susan, Jeffrey Ostler, and Joshua L. Reid, eds. Violence and Indigenous Communities: Confronting the Past and Engaging the Present. Evanston, Illinois: Northwestern University Press, 2021.
- Smith, Helmut Walser. The Butcher's Tale: Murder and Anti-Semitism in a German Town. New York: Norton, 2002.
- Sowards, Adam M. An Open Pit Visible from the Moon: The Wilderness Act and the Fight to Protect Miners Ridge and the Public Interest. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2020.
- Thomas, Lynn M. Beneath the Surface: A Transnational History of Skin Lighteners. Durham: Duke University Press, 2020.
- Tindall, George Brown. America: A Narrative History.
4th ed. New York: Norton, 1995.
- Tretter, Eliot M. Shadows of a Sunbelt City: The Environment, Racism, and the Knowledge Economy in Austin.
Athens: The University of Georgia Press, 2016.
- Watkins, Mel. On the Real Side: Laughing, Lying and Signifying--The Underground Tradition of African-American Humor that Transformed American Culture, from Slavery to Richard Pryor New York: Simon & Schuster, 1993.
- Wright, Gordon. France in Modern Times: From the
Enlightenment to the Present. 5th ed. New York: Norton, 1994.
Medicine and science
- Beaser, Richard S., with Joan V. C. Hill and Joslin Education
Committee. The Joslin Guide to Diabetes: A Program for managing your
treatment. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Cytryn, Leon, and Donald H. McKnew, Jr. Growing Up
Sad: Childhood Depression and Its Treatment. New York: Norton, 1995.
- Ferris, Timothy. The Whole Shebang: A
State-of-the-Universe(s) Report. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997.
- Florence, Ronald. The Perfect Machine: Building the
Palomar Telescope. New York: HarperCollins, 1994.
- Gleitman, Henry. Basic Psychology, 4th ed. New York: Norton,
- Hockenbury, Don, and Sandy Hockenbury. Psychology.
New York: Worth Publishers, 1997.
- Langston, J. William, and Jon Palfreman. The Case
of the Frozen Addicts. New York: Pantheon, 1995.
- Larson, David E., ed. Mayo Clinic Family Health Book. 2nd ed. New York: Morrow, 1996.
- Myers, David G. Psychology, 5th ed. New York: Worth Publishers,
- Null, Gary. Encyclopedia of Natural Healing. New York: Kensington Books, 1997.
- Pinker, Steven. The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature. New York: Viking, 2002.
- Salzman, Bernard. The Handbook of Psychiatric Drugs:
A Consumer's Guide to Safe and Effective Use. 2nd ed. New York: Henry Holt,
- Whitaker, Jennifer Seymour. Salvaging the Land of
Plenty: Garbage and the American Dream. New York: Morrow, 1994.
Politics and law
- Adler, Stephen J. The Jury: Trial and Error in the
American Court. New York: Random House, 1994.
- Boutros-Ghali, Boutros. Egypt's Road to Jerusalem:
A Diplomat's Story of the Struggle for Peace in the Middle East.New York: Random
- Cheney, Richard B., and Lynne V. Cheney. Kings of
the Hill: Power and Personality in the House of Representatives.New York: Simon & Schuster, 1996.
- Doyle, Michael W. Ways of War and Peace: Realism,
Liberalism, and Socialism. New York: Norton, 1997.
- Holmes, Jack, Michael Engelhardt and Robert Elder.
American Government: Essentials and Perspectives. New York: McGraw-Hill,
- Johnson, Chalmers. Japan: Who Governs? The Rise of
the Developmental State.New York: Norton, 1994.
- Lowi, Theodore J., and Benjamin Ginsburg. American
Government. 3rd ed. New York: Norton, 1993.
- Pasztor, Andy. When the Pentagon was for Sale: Inside
America's Biggest Defense Scandal. New York: Scribner, 1995.
- Pauling, Linus. Linus Pauling in His Own Words: Selections
from His Writings, Speeches, and Interviews. New York: Simon & Schuster,
- Reisman, W. Michael, and Chris T. Antoniou, eds. The
Laws of War: A Comprehensive Collection of Primary Documents on International
Laws Governing Armed Conflict. New York: Random House, 1995.
- Shesol, Jeff. Mutual Contempt: Lyndon Johnson, Robert
Kennedy, and the Feud That Defined a Decade. New York: Norton, 1997.
- Simon, James F. The Center Holds: The Power Struggle
Inside the Rehnquist Court. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1995.
- Stewart, James B. Blood Sport: The President and
His Adversaries. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1996.
- Teitelbaum, Michael S., and Myron Weiner, eds.
Threatened Peoples, Threatened Borders: World Migration and U.S. Foreign
Policy. New York: Norton, 1995.
- Weir, Margaret. We The People. New York: Norton, 1997.
Religion and philosophy
- Adler, Mortimer. Adler's Philosophical Dictionary. New York: Scribner, 1995.
- Alter, Robert. Genesis: Translation and Commentary. New York: Norton, 1996.
Self-help, advice, how-to, etc.
- Cirino, Linda D. On Your Own Terms: The Seniors'
Guide to an Independent Life. New York: Hearst Books, 1995.
- Claire, Thomas. Bodywork: What Type of Massage to
Get--and How to Make the Most of It. New York: Morrow, 1995.
- Coloroso, Barbara. Kids are Worth It! New York: Morrow,
- Friedrich, Jacqueline. Wine and Food Guide to the
Loire. New York: Henry Holt, 1996.
- Johnnes, Daniel. Daniel Johnnes's Top 200 Wines:
Expert's Guide to Maximum Enjoyment for Your Dollar. New York: Penguin Books,
- Kamman, Madeleine. The New Making of a Cook: The
Art, Technique, and Science of Good Cooking. New York: Morrow, 1997.
- Practical Guide to Practically Everything, The.
New York: Random House, 1995.
- Tippins, Prudence, and Sherill Tippins. Two of Us
Make a World: The Single Mother's Guide to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the
First Year. New York: Henry Holt, 1995.
- Pluto, Terry. When All the World Was Browns Town:
Cleveland's Browns and the Championship Season of '64. New York: Simon & Schuster,
- Zavoral, Nolan. A Season on the Mat: Dan Gable and
the Pursuit of Perfection. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997.
Last updated, January 2021.