Frederick L. Brown

This banner image shows coal wagons of the Seattle Coal Company on Spokane Avenue, Seattle, on July 29, 1918. While horse-drawn vehicles had dominated street traffic in the early twentieth century, they were a dwindling minority by the time this photo was taken. For the most part, the new cars and trucks did not replace horses. They made private vehicles more widely available and thus replaced walking, riding streetcars and trains, and staying near home. At horses’ peak in the early twentieth century, there was only one horse for every eighteen humans in King County. By 1930, there was one automobile for every four people. (Item 12544, Seattle Municipal Archives).

Return to home page.